Cibola County Fully in Severe Drought as Valencia County Wildfire Underscores Regional Fire Danger

Body

CIBOLA COUNTY, N.M. – Cibola County is now entirely in severe drought, according to the latest U.S. Drought Monitor, as dry conditions and wildfire concerns continue to shape the outlook across western New Mexico heading into late March.

Data valid March 24 shows 100% of Cibola County classified in D2. That means the entire county has now moved into one uniform level of drought stress, a troubling sign as spring winds and warmer temperatures continue to build toward fire season.

The updated drought picture comes as firefighters in neighboring Valencia County are wrapping up work on the Unified Fire near Madrone, east of Interstate 25 and south of Rio Communities.

According to a final update issued March 27, containment on the Unified Fire increased to 50% after fire lines held against stronger winds. The fire was reported at 10:49 a.m. Tuesday, March 24, and burned 300 acres of grass, brush, timber and timber understory. Officials said the cause remains under investigation.

Crews were expected to continue searching for interior heat, strengthening containment lines, removing hazardous trees and surveying the area for suppression repair needs. Although threats to nearby homes had passed by Friday, officials said the public should continue avoiding the bosque area while suppression work continues through the weekend.

No evacuations remained in place as of the latest update, and earlier evacuations had been lifted.

The Valencia County fire does not directly affect Cibola County, but it serves as a stark reminder of how quickly fire can spread in dry, windy conditions across the region. Weather tied to the Unified Fire update included gusts as high as 35 mph, along with blowing dust and low humidity — conditions that are common across much of New Mexico during the spring.