GRANTS, N.M. – A deadly crime spree that started on the Acoma Pueblo ended in a shootout on I-40 late Saturday night, involving law enforcement from Cibola County and Grants. The suspect, identified as 24year-old Jaquari Hezakiyah Porter, was shot and injured by law enforcement and is currently hospitalized.
At least one CCSO cruiser was struck by gunfire, with bullets piercing the windshield, but no officers were injured.
According to a press release from the Cibola County Sheriff’s Office, the situation began when a fatal shooting and carjacking occurred at the Sky City Casino, located on the Acoma Pueblo. Authorities allege Porter shot and killed a female victim before fleeing in her vehicle.
Police issued a Be On the Lookout (BOLO) alert to nearby agencies, identifying the vehicle Porter was driving.
Cibola County Sheriff’s deputies located the suspect’s vehicle traveling westbound on I-40 near exit 102. A pursuit ensued, during which Porter reportedly collided with another vehicle before finally coming to a stop near mile marker 81.
After crashing to a stop, Porter exited the stolen vehicle and immediately fired at law enforcement, striking a sheriff’s office cruiser, according to Sheriff Diaz. No law enforcement officers were injured. Law enforcement returned fire, striking Porter at least once.
Officers on the scene immediately rendered aid before transporting Porter to a hospital. His current medical condition remains unknown.
Authorities confirmed that Porter was previously stopped for speeding by an NMSP officer earlier that evening but fled the scene.
Multiple Jurisdictions Investigating
Since the initial homicide occurred on tribal land, Sheriff Diaz said the FBI has taken jurisdiction over the murder investigation.
Meanwhile, the New Mexico State Police Investigations Bureau is handling the officer-involved shooting (OIS), which is standard protocol for incidents where law enforcement officers discharge their firearms.
As of now, the New Mexico State Police has not released the names of the officers involved, citing ongoing investigations. The District Attorney’s Office will review the findings of the NMSP investigation to determine what charges Porter may face.
The FBI has not issued any public statements regarding their investigation into the murder at Sky City Casino. The Cibola Citizen has reached out to the agency for further details and is awaiting a response.
The investigation to this shooting remains active, and further details— including potential charges—will be determined once the district attorney reviews the case.
“You could see those bullets that were flying, they don’t have any particular names. They can strike anybody,” Sheriff Diaz said, “I’m just thankful my deputies and the responding officers were unharmed.”