Iran war update: Tehran pushes Hormuz proposal as blockade tightens; Hezbollah leans on drone strikes

Body

GRANTS, N.M. – Iran is pushing a new proposal centered on the Strait of Hormuz as it seeks an end to the war that would lift the U.S. naval blockade of Iranian ports without requiring immediate nuclear concessions, according to the latest daily updates from the Institute for the Study of War and the Critical Threats Project.

ISW-CTP said Iran has offered to “reopen” the strait and end the war while postponing U.S.–Iran nuclear negotiations to a later date — an approach that would give Tehran more time before addressing issues such as highly enriched uranium and uranium enrichment limits. President Donald Trump described the proposal April 25 as “much better” than earlier Iranian proposals but said it was “not enough,” and the White House reiterated that Trump’s priorities include freedom of navigation through the strait and the removal of Iran’s highly enriched uranium stockpile.

ISW-CTP also pointed to growing economic pressure inside Iran. The Wall Street Journal reported April 27 that the blockade has forced Iran to store oil in “disused oil tanks in poor condition” and in “containers” in Ahvaz and Asaluyeh, citing unspecified current and former Iranian officials.

On the Lebanon front, ISWCTP said Hezbollah has increasingly relied on first-person-view (FPV) drones since the Israel–Hezbollah ceasefire took effect April 16. Hezbollah claimed FPV drones in 12 of 18 attacks on Israeli ground forces since then, and Israeli media cited by ISW-CTP reported Hezbollah is using fiber-optic FPV drones as a main strike platform.

ISW-CTP also reported that Israel resumed airstrikes on Hezbollah targets in southern Lebanon and the Bekaa Valley on April 27, and that Hezbollah warned it could broaden attacks if Israel increases operations in Lebanon.

For readers in Cibola County, the most important development remains the same: the Strait of Hormuz continues to be the central pressure point, with diplomacy, blockade en- forcement, and the risk of renewed escalation all tied to what happens there next.

In Remembrance

The following U.S. service members were identified in the material provided as having died in the line of duty as a result of recent military action in the Middle East. The Cibola County community honors their service and holds their families in our thoughts.

KC-135 crash in Iraq (6)

• Maj. John A. Klinner

• Capt. Ariana G. Savino

• Tech. Sgt. Ashley B. Pruitt

• Capt. Seth R. Koval 

• Capt. Curtis J.

Angst

• Tech. Sgt. Tyler H. Simmons Drone attack in Kuwait (6)

• Capt. Cody A.

Khork

• Sgt. 1st Class Noah L. Tietjens

• Sgt. 1st Class Nicole M. Amor

• Sgt. Declan J.

Coady

• Maj. Jeffrey O’Brien

• Chief Warrant Officer 3 Robert Marzan Attack in Saudi Arabia (1)

• Sgt. Benjamin Pennington