GRANTS, N.M. – The United States has extended a new deadline for Iran to reach an agreement with Washington to March 27, even as U.S. and Israeli forces continue airstrikes inside Iran and Iran continues launching missile and drone attacks at Israel and U.S.-allied countries across the region, according to daily assessments from the Institute for the Study of War and the Critical Threats Project.
President Donald Trump announced the deadline extension after previously warning that Iranian activity around the Strait of Hormuz would trigger further escalation by March 23. In extending the deadline, Trump said Iran agreed to cease uranium enrichment, give up existing stockpiles, and remain “low-key on the missiles,” according to the ISW-CTP update. Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu said March 23 that Trump described an opportunity to “leverage the military achievements of the war” and pursue strategic objectives through an eventual agreement.
At the center of the diplomatic uncertainty is Iranian Parliament Speaker Mohammad Bagher Ghalibaf, who publicly rejected reports of U.S.-Iran negotiations on March 23. At the same time, the ISW-CTP update said reports of messaging channels – including intermediaries and potential outreach – continue to circulate, proving how fastmoving and contested the information environment has become during the war.
Battlefield Update
On the battlefield, the ISW-CTP report said the combined U.S.-Israeli air focus on Iran’s ballistic missile infrastructure and units linked to internal security.
An Israeli military correspondent cited in the ISW-CTP report said that Israel has destroyed or rendered inaccessible roughly 330 of Iran’s estimated 470 ballistic missile launchers, pointing to a broader effort to reduce Iran’s ability to sustain missile fire. The update described strikes reported near missile-related sites in multiple areas, as well as released footage showing strikes on Iranian drone launch platforms and drones.
Iran, meanwhile, continued missile launches toward Israel on March 22 and 23, and the report said Israeli sources recorded impacts and fragments in several locations.
The Israel Defense Forces reported intercepting 92% of Iranian missile attacks and said Iran has launched more than 400 ballistic missiles since the war began on Feb. 28, according to the ISW-CTP update.
The conflict’s pressure on U.S. partners in the Gulf also continued.
The update said Iranian missiles reportedly struck two data centers near Abu Dhabi and that a missile impacted an uninhabited area near Riyadh. The report also cited Israeli media claims that Iran may be limiting attacks on Saudi Arabia out of concern that continued strikes could trigger a direct Saudi military response, while drone activity continued elsewhere in the Gulf. Bahrain reported intercepting 36 Iranian drones on March 23, and the Emirati Defense Ministry reported 16 drones launched at the UAE that same day, according to the ISW-CTP update.
Another front is intensifying in Lebanon and northern Israel.
Hezbollah claimed 55 attacks between the afternoon of March 22 and the afternoon of March 23, largely involving rockets and an increasing use of drones, according to the report. Israeli media and open-source accounts cited by ISW-CTP reported rocket impacts around Kiryat Shmona and at least two injuries.
For readers in Cibola County, which carries a strong military legacy, the war remains distant but the stakes are personal for families with loved ones in uniform and for residents tracking how long the conflict lasts and how widely it spreads. As this develops, the clearest updates will continue to come from official statements and carefully sourced reporting, especially as the ISW-CTP assessment notes tightening internal security measures and arrests inside Iran.
In Memorial
The following United States Soldiers died in the line of duty as a result of recent military action in the Middle East. Reports from US Central Command report at least 200 more wounded.
The Cibola Citizen thanks the fallen and their families for their service.
KC-135 crash in Iraq (6) • Maj. John A. Klinner
• Capt. Ariana G. Savino
• Tech. Sgt. Ashley B. Pruitt
• Capt. Seth R.
Koval
• Capt. Curtis J.
Angst
• Tech. Sgt. Tyler H. Simmons Drone attack in Kuwait (6) • Capt. Cody A.
Khork
• Sgt. 1st Class Noah L. Tietjens
• Sgt. 1st Class Nicole M. Amor
• Sgt. Declan J.
Coady
• Maj. Jeffrey O’Brien
• Chief Warrant Officer 3 Robert Marzan Attack in SaudiArabia (1) • Sgt. Benjamin Pennington