Families can choose virtual instruction
CIBOLA COUNTY, N.M. – The Grants/Cibola County School District board voted to return to hybrid learning at the Feb. 8 meeting. The option is scheduled to begin Monday, Feb. 22.
Families can choose to have their children continue in the virtual learning platform, according to Superintendent Max Perez.
The five-member board’s Jan. 19 meeting included a 3-2 vote that required all students to remain in the distance-learning platform.
Vice President Richard Jones and Secretary Dion Sandoval had voted at that meeting to return all students to hybrid learning. Two members, Emily Hunt-Dailey and Dr. Guy Archambeau, voted “no.” President Ron Ortiz made the tie-breaking vote at the Jan. 19 meeting when he joined Hunt-Dailey and Dr. Archambeau in voting against returning to the hybrid model.
His “yes” at last week’s special meeting was once again the tie-breaking vote.
The 3-2 decision followed a lengthy three-hour session that began with a one-hour public comment section; eight people, who were each restricted to a maximum of five minutes, expressed their thoughts.
President Ortiz explained that tribal consultations are an important factor in making decisions about educational services that the district provides to students. Last week’s special meeting included an open discussion between the board and representatives of the Pueblo of Acoma, the Navajo Nation, and the Pueblo of Acoma.
Governor Brian D. Vallo, Pueblo of Acoma, acknowledged that the Pueblo had closed its borders last March to slow community spread of COVID-19. He said that Acoma has lost many tribal members of all ages during the pandemic. Governor Vallo noted Acoma students’ success with virtual learning and recommended that the district return to the hybrid platform during the 2021-22 academic year. He reported that three students from two different families had opted for hybrid during the first semester of this school year. The families provided transportation for their children and G/CCSD did not use buses to transport them.
(The district had implemented the hybrid option for elementary students last fall but voted to return all classes to the virtual format after community spread had forced temporary closure of several schools.)
Andy Nez, Navajo Nation Department of Education-Window Rock, Arizona, explained that the Nation oversees a variety of educational facilities that operate under the auspices of entities such as the U.S. Bureau of Indian Affairs, private academies, plus charter and public schools in addition to Navajo Nation schools. Approximately 7,000 Navajo students are enrolled in Gallup-McKinley School District, which recently implemented hybrid instruction. All Navajo Nation schools will remain in the virtual platform through the end of this school year, according to Nez.
“Our people’s safety is our priority,” emphasized Governor John E. Antonio, Sr., Pueblo of Laguna, who reported that 18 tribal members have died from COVID; the Pueblo closed its borders in March 2020. He added that teachers are still waiting to get vaccinated. Governor Antonio said that [the Pueblo of] Laguna does not support the return to hybrid; he recommended that the district continue with distancelearning through the end of the current school year.
(Hybrid instruction allows students to attend inperson classroom instruction for two days and continue virtual classes the remainder of the school week. The district has identified specific requirements that must be in place before hybrid learning is implemented. These conditions comply with the New Mexico Public Education, N.M. Department of Health, and federal guidelines, according to G/CCDS officials.)
Board members held a lengthy discussion on the benefits and detrimental effects of virtual learning compared to hybrid instruction.
Dion Sandoval, board secretary, noted that his job site has reported substantial numbers of COIVD-positive tests. He stressed that employees are required to wear PPE and follow all pandemic protocols. Sandoval believes that the district can safely return to hybrid because employees and students will follow proper safety procedures.
Vice President Richard Jones said his preference is to return all students to the classroom 100 percent of the time.
Member Hunt-Dailey said that 2,464 have been vaccinated in Laguna; she reminded the board that no vaccine is 100 percent effective.
Jones added that he felt the district surveys did not fully represent community members’ concerns.
“What about the Hispanics?” he asked and added that many area residents are Hispanic.
Hunt-Dailey recalled speaking with Cubero Land Grant officials, who said they wanted students to remain in the virtual format. She was unable to reach Seboyeta Land Grant officials for comment.
Dr. Archambeau, board member, asked Governor Vallo if Pueblo officials had attempted to influence families’ decisions about hybrid vs. virtual formats.
Governor Vallo explained that the current Executive Order includes provisions about educational choices and decisions are made on a case-by-case basis. He added that the Pueblo regularly hosts community symposiums that encourage parents to express their thoughts.
Superintendent Perez reiterated comments made at previous meetings; he said the goal is to safely return all students to the classroom.
“The decision tonight is about staff and students’ safety and what is in the best interest of all students,” said Perez.
Upcoming meetings
March 2
5:30 p.m., the Grants/Cibola County school board will hold an electronic meeting via Zoom. Visit https://www.gccs.k12.nm.us/ or call 505-285-2603 for more information.5
March 16
5:30 p.m., the Grants/Cibola County school board will hold an electronic meeting via Zoom.
Visit https://www.gccs.k12.nm.us/ or call 505-285-2603 for more information.5