Grants Council Considering Firework Ban

Subhead

Grants Council Considering Firework Ban

Body

GRANTS, N.M. –

According to City of Grants Fire & Rescue Chief Robert Hays, fireworks produce thirty percent (30%) of yearly fires in June and July each year. In year 2020, there were more than 19,000 fires nationwide caused by fireworks resulting in 15,600 injuries. Thus far this year, Grants Fire & Rescue has responded to 20-plus brush fires.

“Our goal is to alleviate the threat,” Grants Mayor Erik Garcia said following a brief discussion on the current fire threat due to drought conditions and erratic winds statewide at last week’s regularly scheduled council meeting. “It is very dry and with the high winds, the threat is there. We’ve seen it in the past, we see it today, and we want to do what we can in preventing it from happening tomorrow.”

A special council meeting has been scheduled for June 6, 2022 at City Hall, 600 W. Santa Fe Avenue. Thus far, the only item on the agenda is a firework ban proclamation.

A draft proclamation provided by the city clerk prohibits the sale and use of a variety of fireworks. They include helicopters, aerial spinners, stick-type rockets, chasers, and firecrackers. Devices allowed are fountains, crackling devices, cylindrical fountains, flitter sparklers, ground spinners, illuminating torches, toy smoking devices, and wheels. If the Proclamation is approved by a majority of the council, these devices will be allowed within the City of Grants boundaries that are paved or barren, or areas that have a readily accessible source of water for use by the homeowner or the general public.

Mayor Garcia said that despite the firework ban opportunity, the City is still planning on hosting the big annual firework display on the Fourth of July at the Coyote del Malpais Golf Course. “In fact,” the mayor stated, “this year’s show will be slightly bigger than last year’s.”

He added, “What’s nice about the big show is city crews prepare for it by wetting the grounds and our wonderful fire crew and their trucks are on site at the show just in case. The City takes extra precaution to alleviate the threat.”

Mayor Garcia also noted a new parking area for this year’s show. “City crews will soon blade a parking area between the golf course and Mount Taylor Addition, closer to the golf course side,” said Garcia. “We are excited about the show, yet cautious due to the drought.”

The June 6 special meeting is open to the public. For additional information, call City Hall at 505-287-7927. If the City does receive significant moisture after June 6 and before July 1, Mayor Garcia said the council could consider lifting the ban.

Statewide

In early May, Gov. Michelle Lujan Grisham signed an executive order urging New Mexico municipalities and counties to ban the retail sale of fireworks in their communities. The request followed a weekend in which fires broke out in half the state, with thousands of New Mexicans still remaining under evacuation orders. “Fire conditions across New Mexico remain extremely dangerous—it’s essential that we mitigate potential wildfires by removing as much risk as possible,” the governor said in a statement.

Cibola National Forest

Last week on May 19, the Cibola National Forest and National Grasslands initiated a closure within the Mount Taylor District in addition to Mountainair and Sandia. Fire danger remains extreme with record conditions only expected to worsen over the foreseeable future. The closure will be rescinded after significant moisture has been received and overall conditions improve. Call 505-346-3900