Grants Fire & Rescue responded to a grass and brush fire near Sakelares and Roosevelt early Monday morning amid growing concerns over extreme dry conditions and strong winds. The flames, which quickly spread through dry grass along the roadside, serve as the latest reminder of Cibola's heightened wildfire risk.
In a statement, GFR warned that they’ve been responding to near-daily grass fires within and around city limits.
A burn ban in effect for the City of Grants, Village of Milan, and Cibola County until further notice.
Meanwhile, the New Mexico Forestry Division has launched Wildfire Awareness Week (March 24–30) under the theme “Spark Safety, Not Wildfires.” According to NMFD Communications Director George Ducker, the campaign aims to highlight how human activity is responsible for four out of every five wildfires in New Mexico.
Ducker said this dry conditions and a lack of winter snowpack, this fire season could be one of the worst in recent memory.
According to the campaign, the top human causes of wildfires include: 1. Debris/open burning – especially without proper safety steps or during windy conditions.
2. Campfires and outdoor recreation – often left smoldering or unattended.
3. Equipment and vehicles – such as hot engines, dragging chains, and welding work.
“Living in New Mexico means learning to live with fire,” said EMNRD Secretary Melanie Kenderdine. State Forester Laura McCarthy echoed the urgency, noting fire starts have already doubled compared to this time last year.
Ducker encourages Cibola residents to:
• Never burn during windy, dry afternoons.
• Keep water, hoses, and tools nearby if working outdoors.
• Avoid parking vehicles over dry grass.
• Monitor all outdoor flames until they’re completely cold.
All of Cibola must do its part, just one spark can lead to disaster.