GRANTS, N.M. — A fast-moving wildfire tore through a Grants neighborhood Sunday night, destroying six homes, injuring two firefighters, and leaving multiple families without shelter.
Dubbed the Alamo Fire, the blaze began around 7:30 p.m. in an open field behind East Sage Avenue. Fueled by wind and dry conditions, it spread to nearby mobile homes in under 10 minutes, leaving residents with little time to escape. Police say at least eight outbuildings were also lost in the fire, and one cat perished in the chaos.
Grants Fire Chief Mike Maes confirmed the fire was human-caused and likely started in the field behind the homes. “The lack of lightning is very suspicious,” Maes said. “Arson is hard to prove—it could have been accidental—but it was human caused.”
The State Fire Marshal’s office and wildland fire investigators are working to determine the official point of origin. Grants Police Chief Maxine Monte confirmed that investigators received a tip about a possible suspect involved in starting the fire. Police are still searching for the individual.
Two firefighters were injured while battling the blaze but are expected to recover.
Power was cut to approximately 375 customers in the Balsam/Sage area after the fire triggered a circuit breaker. Utility crews shut off additional lines as a precaution and began replacing two poles overnight. By Monday morning, power had been restored to all but three homes. Continental Divide Electric Cooperative and Red Bolt Broadband plan to continue repairs this week as the investigation allows.
In the aftermath, the community quickly stepped up. Residents delivered water, snacks, and supplies to first responders and families in need. The Perez family, whose neighborhood was heavily impacted, said neighbors helped each other evacuate as flames closed in. Grants High School students are also taking action. On Wednesday, April 29, from 1:45 to 3:30 p.m., GHS students hosted a bake sale and dunk tank fundraiser in front of the school. Proceeds will go directly to classmates and families affected by the fire. “Many of our students have shown the desire to answer the call for those in need,” the school announced.
As of late Sunday night, the fire had been fully extinguished. But the threat of wildfires remains. Grants, Milan, and all of Cibola County are now under a burn ban. Fire officials are urging residents to clear dry brush from their properties and report any signs of fire activity.
The Alamo Fire is the latest in a series of destructive fire events to hit Cibola County amid worsening drought conditions. Although the region has seen recent rain, Cibola remains in drought, with dry fuel on the ground and rising temperatures increasing fire risk across the area.