New Mexico Leaders React as U.S. Strikes Iran; CENTCOM Reports American Casualties

Body

Conflict’s ripple effects felt by military families, fuel prices, and local communities 

GRANTS, N.M. — A widening Middle East conflict tied to the war in Gaza has escalated into direct U.S. military action against Iran, prompting fresh retaliation across the region and sharp reactions from New Mexico’s all-Democratic congressional delegation, which criticized the strikes as unauthorized and warned of the risk of a prolonged war.

The U.S. strikes are unfolding amid a broader regional crisis that has spanned multiple fronts since Hamas’ Oct. 7, 2023, attack on Israel and Israel’s ensuing military campaign in Gaza. Over time, fighting has expanded to include Iranbacked groups such as Hezbollah in Lebanon, the Houthis in Yemen, and armed factions in Iraq and Syria, with the United States and other allies conducting military operations in several theaters.

In public updates posted by U.S. Central Command (CENTCOM) on social media, the military reported that three U.S. service members were killed in action and five were seriously wounded as of March 1. A later CENTCOM update on March 2 said the U.S. death toll had risen to six. CENTCOM also said U.S. forces are targeting “mobile launchers” it described as being used to fire missiles “indiscriminately” across the region.

New Mexico Delegation Responds

New Mexico’s congressional delegation released statements criticizing the strikes and emphasizing Congress’ constitutional role in authorizing war.

Sen. Martin Heinrich, D-N.M., said President Donald Trump “promised to end wars, not start them,” and argued the action was taken “without strategy or a clear definition of success,” while also condemning Iran’s leadership and its treatment of its own citizens.

Sen. Ben Ray Luján, D-N.M., said the strikes were “unauthorized” and “illegal,” warning that escalation “puts American troops in danger” and risks drawing the U.S. into a broader conflict. Luján also criticized congressional Republicans for what he described as a lack of oversight and accountability.

Rep. Melanie Stansbury, D-N.M., said the strikes were launched “without congressional authorization” and called them “illegal,” urging Congress to act “before it escalates.”

Rep. Gabe Vasquez, D-N.M., said he stands with Iranians seeking freedom from an oppressive regime and agreed Iran should not be allowed to obtain a nuclear weapon, but said unilateral escalation violates the Constitution. Vasquez, a member of the House Armed Services Committee, called for transparency on long-term strategy and how it serves U.S. interests.

Rep. Teresa Isabel Leger Fernández, DN. M., criticized the administration’s focus and questioned the costs “in American lives and resources,” referencing the U.S. withdrawal from the prior nuclear agreement and arguing the public has not been given a clear plan.

The Republican Party of New Mexico issued a statement supporting the operation. Party chairwoman Amy Barela said she is praying for the safety of U.S. service members and described Operation Epic Fury as making “the world, the United States, and New Mexico much safer,” calling it a necessary step toward peace and preventing Iran from obtaining a nuclear weapon.

A response from the New Mexico Democrat Party was not available.

Combat Operations Continue

In a public update posted March 1, CENTCOM said that, as of 9:30 a.m. Eastern Time, three U.S. service members had been killed in action and five were seriously wounded as part of Operation Epic Fury, with additional troops suffering minor shrapnel injuries and concussions. A second CENTCOM update posted March 2 said that, as of 4 p.m. Eastern Time, six U.S. service members had been killed in action.

In a March 3 notice to press, CENTCOM said Iranian forces are using mobile launchers to fire missiles “indiscriminately” across the region and said U.S. forces are targeting those threats.

“They have no navy — it’s been knocked out. They have no air force; that's been knocked out. They have no air detection; that’s been knocked out. Their radar has been knocked out, and just about everything’s been knocked out,' President Dondald Trump told reporters in the morning of March 3 before meeting with the Chancellor of Germany.

Trump says the U.S. is doing 'very well' in its operation against Iran.

'As you know, 49 people were taken out in the first hit. And I guess there was another hit today on the new leadership, and it looks like that was pretty substantial also. So they're getting hit very hard, and we'll see what happens,' he said.

Trump added, 'I guess you have a third wave coming.'

The US has evacuated and closed multiple embassies across the Middle East.

For Cibola County readers, one of the most immediate questions is whether any troops with local ties are involved in the operation. An inquiry to the Pentagon seeking information about local Cibola County troops was met with guidance that such requests must be made through each branch of the armed services individually. Further requests will follow.